April is Organ Donor Awareness Month and anyone who registers as an organ, eye or tissue donor is a hero.
LifeNet Health is our region’s federally designated Organ Procurement Organization and through the work of LifeNet, many thousands of lives are saved.
Here are some national and regional facts that might make becoming a donor more meaningful:
- One donor can save 9 lives through organ donation (heart, split liver, pancreas, 2 kidneys, 2 lungs and small intestine), enhance more than 50 lives through tissue donation and restore sight to two people through eye donation.
- Over 117,000 people are currently awaiting an organ transplant in the U.S.; more than 3,000 of them in Virginia.
- On average, 18 men, women and children die each day waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the U.S. On average, three die each week in Virginia.
- To be an organ, eye and tissue donor, document your wish at a DMV office or on-line at DonateLifeVirginia.org.
- Your designation at DonateLifeVirginia.org or on your driver’s license is a legal document and your wish will be honored.
For more than 40 years, the Sentara Transplant Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, has been saving lives through organ transplantation. Over that time, more than 2,200 transplants have been performed.